Thursday, April 2, 2015

Butternut Squash "Rice"



Ingredients:

4 cups cubed butternut squash
1 T ghee
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Instructions:

Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt (saving the other teaspoon for later). Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 min or until slightly caramelized.

In batches, place the cubed squash in a food processor or high speed blender (I use my vitamix). Pulse until it reaches a rice like consistency. I blend on a medium setting until I get the same result.

Add the squash, garlic powder and the other teaspoon of salt to the pan with caramelized onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes.  Stir in the cup of water and continuing stirring occasionally for about 10 min. Add more water if necessary. Then reduce heat and cover and cook for about 15-20 min, or until the squash is tender but not soggy.  Once cooked, serve immediately and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Really good. I did use organic chicken broth instead of water though. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it! Great idea to use chicken broth.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed it! Great idea to use chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete